Sunday 5 February 2012

Farmhouse Hall table...I think.

I spend a bit of time on kijiji always looking and getting ideas and sometimes (ok ok a lot of the time) picking great pieces of furniture up. Seriously I like yard sales better, but at this time of year in Canada you do what you have to do...and since no one has yard sales in February............ you get the picture. 

I'm always on the lookout for wonderful old pieces, especially dressers. Well I found this one. It's old and very beat up. 

It is going to make a wonderful base for a project I've been dying to try out. But while I was there I spied something rather different. 
Looks fairly plain doesn't it? It's a table and these aren't the best pics taken in my workshop. I'm always embarrassed by how messy and dirty my workshop is, so I try to keep that to a min. I know I know, I'm not the only one covered in dust and paint..sigh, I should just give up and let you all see the real deal. 
Connecting the two legs is a bar that really caught my eye. 
I know, it's not the best pic...but you're getting the idea. I had to add some details on the side as you can see to cover the screw holes holding that bar in place. The originals were missing. 
I have been reading a lot about chalk paint and since I have not been able to find it at all here, I thought I would try making my own. So after looking up a ton of different versions online..I bit the bullet and made some of my own. 
I used an oops paint from Home Depot in a soft grey and did the mixing. Nervous, but excited I applied the first coat. 
YEAH!!! it went well. Then I realized I had way to much! When others have said that they don't use as much paint I didn't realize they really meant it! Thank goodness for air tight containers! 
So this is what I have ended up with :) I'm so pleased with the way it turned out. 







 I'm calling this a Farmhouse Hall table simply because it actually came out of a farmhouse. The wonderful woman who sold it to me said it had been in her grandparents farm house since before she was born. She told me she is in the process of clearing everything out. She has a barn full of old furniture to get rid of. Am I excited? OH YEAH!! 
Everything has been sitting in a barn for the last three years! 
I can hardly wait to talk with her again this week. 
I'm dying to see what sorts of things she has hidden away in that barn :) 
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.  

Trying to do some link ups. So bare with me as I learn.  
http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/

At the Picket Fence 

Northern Cottage 

No Minimalist here 
Homemaker on a Dime 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping and checking out my blog - this table looks cool. I love the detail on the bottom bar. Just think, someone worked that out on a lathe, then carved out the middle. Wow - good old craftsmanship. Chalk paint is pretty expensive - paint some more of that "barn" furniture. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on another two pieces out of that barn right now. Custom orders for the woman that sold me the table and dresser. So I've now seen 4 pieces out of that barn. :)
    I can't wait to share pics and stories. :) Thanks for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I love that table! I'm your newest follower!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the details on that table. New furniture just doesn't have the same character. Love the gray color and the distressed look to this great piece. No wonder why can't wait to see what else the woman has.

    Thank you for joining the "Your Cozy Home Party". You forgot your link back, so I'd appreciate you adding that to your post and having it ready when you join next week. I see your blog is new, so if you need some help with that, there is a tutorial on my party or you can e-mail me for help.

    Have fun with your other projects, and don't worry about what your workshop looks like. A messy workshop means you're having a good time and creating something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks gorgeous! i love the color- love the shape of that table, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I wish I could keep this, of course I wish I could keep almost everything I recreate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMM... very pretty! Sounds like you'll have fun when you go back to that barn. I've been searching through kijiji a lot lately, too. I'm in ON, as well, and looking forward to yard sale season.... er.... spring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello my canadian friend! love this table & the farmhouse description drew my RIGHT IN! nice save!

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am really happy to read
    all at alone place.

    Here is my blog post :: bad credit unsecured loan

    ReplyDelete